Yield: 2 servings
1. Find and capture a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake.
2. Kill, skin and remove entrails.
3. Cut into edible portions.
4. Make a batter of flour, cracker meal, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
5. Roll your snake portions in the batter.
6. Fry in deep fat, heated to a temperature that will ignite a floating
7. Fry until meat is a golden brown.
8. Eat it!!
This recipe comes from the Sweetwater, Texas, Chamber of Commerce. The
Sweetwater Jaycee's 'World's Largest Rattlesnake Roundup' is held each year
in March and hundreds of pounds of rattlesnake meat is cooked and served by
Chief Chef Corkey Frazier."
John R. Frazier writes
Corkey is my Dad, and I starting
participating in the Cook-Shack as a young boy.
I would be happy to field any questions you might get.
Rattlesnake meat is very good . There are a number of ways to cook it,
depending on your situation.
Corkey says he may sit down and write the best recipe, if he finds the
You can contact John at BBQCHILI@webtv.net
Collected by Bert Christensen