1 Beaver, skinned and cleaned
1/2 ts Ground cloves
1/2 c Brown sugar
1/2 c Vinegar
1/2 c Dry white wine or apple juice
1 tb Salt
2 ts Soda
1 c Pineapple juice
2 tb Dry mustard
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
3 tb Mixed pickling spice
1 ts Cinnamon
1. Wash beaver thoroughly with salt water, then let soak overnight in enough
cold water to cover, adding 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 tablespoon salt to the
2. The next day, remove the beaver from the brine, wash and cover with a
solution of 2 teaspoons soda to 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, reduce
heat and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse the beaver, then place it in a clean pot. Add water just
to cover. Sprinkle mixed pickling spice on top, bring to a boil, reduce heat
and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Drain and rinse beaver, pat dry and place in a roaster.
5. Mix mustard, spices, sugar, wine and fruit juices and spread over beaver.
6. Cover and roast at 325 degrees F. until tender, basting frequently.
From "Northern Cookbook" edited by Eleanor A. Ellis, Indian Affairs and
Northern Development, Ottawa 1973.
Typos by Bert Christensen